Pink Shirt Day: Time To Take A Stand


Wednesday, February 28th is "Pink Shirt Day" a day to bring awareness and raise funds to combat bullying. This year's focus is Cyberbullying. Bullying impacts 1 in 5 kids in our in our county and every year we hear of stories of lives ended far too soon as a result of bullying.  

As someone in my 30's, I didn't grow up in the world of social media. Bullying indeed existed when I was younger, but I don't believe the kids of my generation have the same challenges our children's generation deal with when it comes to Bullying, and particularly Cyberbullying.

Despite that, I witness cyberbullying every day. It doesn't come from kids or young people who might not understand the full impact of their actions but from adults who should.

As part of a "networking" based profession, social media plays a significant role in my work life. Over the last few years, dozens of Facebook groups have popped up. Many are topics specific such as a place to find referrals, learn about new marketing techniques, or just general networking and information sharing.

The unfortunate reality of these groups is that although intended to "better" our profession, many have turned into breeding grounds for Cyberbullying.

I'm not referring to discussions that can sometimes get "heated" or genuine disagreements or debates. I've seen people use these groups to shame people publicly, make degrading and unkind remarks, or personal attacks that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

When I see these situations start to unfold, I can't help but think of my own children, and how hurt I would be if someone said the things to them that I see adults say to each other. As parents, we try to instill in our children the importance of kindness, empathy, and respect for others, but so often I see people get swept up in their own world of negativity and Cyberbullying.

Having dealt with my share of bullies in business and as the Mother of two, I feel compelled to speak up when I see this kind of behaviour. As adults, we need to set a better example when it comes to bullying.

I remember the old saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me". The reality is that words do hurt and although they may not break our bones, they have the ability to break the spirit of a child.

So as we put on our Pink Shirts Wednesday, I challenge all of us to do more. Next time you see bullying taking place; Speak up. Next time you're about to comment on a post that is anything but kind; Don't.

Want to do more? Join the movement by saying something nice about someone on social media and add #PinkItForward. For each hashtag, Coast Capital is donating $1 to Pink Shirt Day in support of bullying prevention programs for youth.

For more information visit https://www.pinkshirtday.ca 

Looking to support local initiatives that help build-self esteem and support Youth Violence Prevention visit;

Kaitlyn Bates Initiative

Cornerstone

Comments

Popular Posts