Canadian Politics, Eh?



I'm a passionate about many things; my family, work, community, and of course politics.

As we near October 19th, Election Day, I can't help but notice the social media posts of some of my fellow Canadians are not always … well Canadian.

Let's all be honest, it has been a very long election campaign, the longest in modern Canadian History. In my personal opinion the campaign has also been the most negative. We’ve strayed away from addressing the real issues. Unemployment remains elevated, families can’t afford or find daycare spaces, seniors are living in poverty, and with low oil and resource prices Canadian economic growth is muted. But these issues are not being given the attention they deserve. Instead all we hear about is a candidate's hair, attack ads, and taking quotes out of context to infer a different and negative meaning.

I’m all for people expressing their opinions on what’s important for them. But let's not negatively attack others for having different opinions. Or attack the politicians who support them.

With only a few days left, I encourage everyone to rise above negativity and celebrate that we live in a democratic country where we have the right to choose our government.
I obviously have my party that I'm supporting, but come October 20th, regardless who comes out on top, I will still believe that I live in the best country in the world, and regardless who my neighbours, friends, and family voted for, I will still greet them with warm regards and respect. After all isn't that what makes us truly Canadian, Eh?

For information on voting visit http://www.elections.ca/home.aspx







The opinions expressed in this blog are solely those of Jacqueline Pennington and do not represent those of the Northumberland Hills Association of Realtors or RE/MAX Rouge River. ©Jacqueline Pennington 2015

Comments

Popular Posts