From Workaholic to MOMpreneur

A few years ago I heard a story from a fellow businesswoman that she felt she had to hide from clients that she was a new Mom. She thought clients wouldn't hire her if they knew she had a baby, that she would be perceived as being less dedicated to her job as her male counterparts or less focused on her clients than other women without children. I remember how much this story saddened me; that a young business women would feel the need to hide such an important part of who she was for the sake of business.
I for one have no intention of hiding who I am or my new family. I'm a businesswoman and my clients and their needs are very important, and as new mother I believe that one role does not take away from the other. Truth be told, I’m fairly certain I accomplish a day’s work during my sons 1-2 hour naps. It’s all about efficiency.
So I've decided to start blogging about my journey as both a new Mother and a businesswomen. My hope is to challenge some of the negative misconceptions that a working mother is less dedicated to her work or less dedicated to her family. I want to encourage more young women to embrace their new dual roles without the fear of losing business, being passed over for promotions, or being negatively judged for working outside the home.

I’ll still be blogging about Real Estate & Life in Northumberland but I invite you to tag long for my journey as I learn to balance family, work, and community as a MOMpreneur.

Comments

Popular Posts