My Pregnancy Perspective

As I begin to wind down at work and have a few days until my due date, I finally have some time to reflect on the journey of my pregnancy and the last 9 months.
Recently I had a friend point out that I didn't do one ‘baby bump’ shot on Facebook, no pregnancy updates, or practically anything that “typical” pregnant women are supposed to do. I laughed and reminded him that I’ve never been “typical” so why would I change in pregnancy?
I think as women we have preconceived notions of what it means to be pregnant. When I used to think of pregnancy I thought you sat on the sofa for 9 months over a pint of ice cream in a moomoo while your husband makes midnight runs to the supermarket for more pickles, and that my entire existence would be dedicated to strangers touching my belly and discussing everything and anything baby.
When I found out I was expecting I was overcome with the emotion and joy that I would soon be having a baby and a loving family of my own. Joy was quickly followed by terror and fear of what the next 9 months of my life would look like. I’m a career girl, growing my business, and involved in a dozen community organizations. Before becoming pregnant I was gearing up for a national kayak competition, and was fitting in my workouts in at the only free time I had (which was 5:00am). My first thought was how the hell am I going to be able to keep this up while pregnant?! Secondly, I was dreading trading my stilettos and blazers for sneakers and moomoos. And finally, as someone who is a self-employed Real Estate Broker in an already extremely competitive and demanding industry, was my career officially over?
The first few months of pregnancy were fairly rough for me, but truthfully they were likely more rough on my fiancé who spent the first few months giving me daily assurance that although our life was about to take a 360, he would be there every step of the way to support me in continuing to pursue my passions and work while juggling being a mom.
Well 9 months later and I can confidentially say that not only did I get through it, I thrived. For the first time in my adult life I learned that I needed to put myself first. I now had another person depending on me to not get overly stressed, exhausted, and take time for me. I managed to continue doing all the things I loved including volunteering, staying active, and my career in real estate. It just meant managing my time and my needs in a different way.
Life as I knew it didn't end during pregnancy. On the contrary the last 9 months have been some of the most fulfilling of my life. I continued to Kayak and competed in Nationals while 3 ½ months pregnant, attended 8 different conferences, I presented at 3 different provincial conferences, continued to volunteer, and even attended my first business achievement awards gala as a nominee at 8 months pregnant and in some fabulous heels at that! Needless to say it’s been an adventure full of successes, celebrations, exhaustion, and even the occasional day on the sofa eating ice cream. I wouldn't change one moment of it for the world. It’s my pregnancy and, as with every women, we need to create our own story.

So for those of you that felt you missed out on my regularly baby bump photos here is my unconventional baby bumps;
2 ½ months pregnant at the top of the Cliff at Bon Echo park 

3 ½ months at The Canadian Masters Kayak & Canoe Championship (I’m sure I got some sideways glances for being the only paddler in a life jacket but Doctors orders!)

4 ½ months at the Blue Jeans & Bling Gala for Sick Kids with Jim Cuddy & my Realtor friend Jen

5 1/2 months presenting at my first REBar Camp on “How to Have a Rockin Real Estate Career for Rookies”
 Christmas 2013 6 ½ months with my fiancé 

7 months at RE/MAX’s Kickstart National Conference where I had a display on Northumberland County & presented on Working with Millennial’s

8 months pregnant at the Northumberland Business Achievement Awards with my fiancé. I was nominated & although I didn't win in my category I did win a prize for having the highest heels at my table! 


Comments

Popular Posts